What does it mean to network using social media?

Social media has already become a big part of our life. It connects with friends and people around the world, such as Instagram, Facebook, and WeChat. In the network of social media, we can share, comment, and even find someone who share the same interest in things we like.

How are we motivated to participate in networked publics?

Influencers and content makers are everywhere on the internet. These people motivate us to be a part of the network, mainly because most of them are making a decent amount of money and doing what they enjoyed.

What are the risks & rewards of public communications?

Public communications indeed enrich our lives. Radio, TV, and social media are so reachable, and we get to acquire the latest news that is happening around the world. Our exposure to the internet can cause serious privacy issues. Companies earn profits from selling our personal information. However, most of the time, public communications are still the fastest and easiest way to communicate.

What is a digital identity?

A digital identity is a piece of ID in a computer system that represents an actual person. In China, everything is stored on the internet. Not only the digital identity but also wallets, bus cards, and key cards etc. It is efficient and leads to a real economic gain.

How do personal versus professional approaches to digital identity affect social media use?

I mainly use social media to share the food I like or the places I’ve been to. Being active on social media can be a double-edged sword. Employers may want to know what is their employees’ lives are outside of work. So as a potential employee, I might consider posting a work-safe image in my profile.

How do digital identities converge in networked publics – what are the impacts and/or benefits?

There are certainly some impacts and benefits when it comes to digital identity. For example, the boundary between life and work has been merged. When adding new story on social media, people tend to express more opinion than they normally do.